Vidyya Medical News Servicesm
Vidyya, from the Sanskrit "vaidya," a practitioner who has come to understand the science of life.

Volume 1 Published - 14:00 UTC    08:00 EST    28-April-2000      
Issue 15 Next Update - 14:00 UTC 08:00 EST    29-April-2000      

Vidyya Home  Vidyya

Home Of Our Sponsor, Vidyya.  Vidyya. Home

Vidyya Archives  Vidyya Archives

Search Vidyya  Search Vidyya

Visit Our Library  Ex Libris

Subscribe To Our News Service  Subscriptions

All About Us  About Vidyya

Back To Vidyya New York Mayor Diagnosed With Prostate Cancer

Excerpts From Ruldolph Guiliani's Prostate Cancer Announcement

Good morning. I was diagnosed yesterday with a — with prostate cancer. It’s a treatable form of prostate cancer. It was diagnosed at an early stage. It came about as a result of taking a PSA test about 2 1/2 weeks ago. The PSA was elevated. So I took antibiotics for a while. Took the PSA test again. It remained elevated, so I went in for a biopsy yesterday, and the biopsy revealed that several of the samples, thank goodness not all and not most, had indications of cancer.

And, therefore, it’s at a very, very early stage of the disease. It is also at a very early stage of determining what to do about it. But since — since yesterday when I went to Mount Sinai a reporter saw me going in and figured out I was there for a prostate test, I thought it would be better to reveal what I know of it, which is what the doctor told me last night and over the next week, maybe two weeks maybe, maybe 2 1/2 or three weeks, I will figure out with my doctor and other doctors what the best and optimum form of treatment will be.

Obviously, the bad news is that there’s cancer and the good news is that there are lots of possible options, and it’s going to take a while to determine which option is the best one to bring about a complete cure.

And I would — I’ll answer some questions about it. We’re still at the stage where — normally somebody would reveal this a week or two from now when you were — you know not only diagnosed with it, but you had worked out with your doctor or whatever doctors you consult with the form of treatment that you are going to have for it. And I haven’t had the opportunity to do that yet.

Excerpts from the question and answer period immediately following speech:

Q: We can appreciate that this is early, but can you at least tell us what you think or how, if at all, this affects the Senate race?

A: I have no idea. I mean, I think in fairness to me, to the Senate race, to the Republican Party, to all the parties and everybody else, you need some time to think about it, and I really need the know what the course of treatment is going to be before I can evaluate it. So the answer is, I guess the same answer about the Senate race that I would have the course of treatment: I don’t know the answer to that yet.

I hope that it would be able to run. But the choice that I will make about treatment is going to be contingent upon the treatment that gives me the best opportunity to have a full and complete cure. And then, after I determine that, then I will figure out that it makes sense to run this year or doesn’t it or whatever.

Q: In the short run does this preclude anything, for example, Buffalo tomorrow.

A: The only thing that it might preclude is I have to take a few more treatments in order to figure out the best form of treatment. And you know, I may have to reschedule a few things to make sure that I get that treatment.

Q: Can you discuss a little bit about some of the options available for the surgery, chemotherapy?

A: Yes, I can. The options are — the options are — the options are the same for everybody. So they are not very different. The options are radiation, hormones, seeds (ph), which is a form of radiation or operation depending on what you think gives you the best chance of success in curing the disease, or what combination of those things and in what order that you want to do it.

As you know, doctors have very different views of this and the reason that I am going to take a week or two is you have to evaluate it. You have to evaluate all of those difference options and put them together. There is no reason, which I guess is also good news, there is no reason for me to have emergency treatment, I am not going to have treatment tomorrow or the next day or the day after. At the same time, there is also no reason to extend it, and it wouldn’t be a good idea to extend it for months. So I will decide within the next 2-3 week.

Q: Mr. Mayor, how are you feeling?

A: I feel great. Well, aside from — I can’t say I feel absolutely great, I mean I had the biopsy yesterday. That creates a few little pains that you would rather not have, but it is well worth it in light of the fact that you need to have it done. But I mean, I’m in very good health. My heart is fine. My blood pressure is low. I’m in great shape.

Q: Did the sudden developments make you think about your dad?

A: Yes, well, my father had prostate cancer, which is the reason why I went and got tested for it. Well, sure, I mean, you always, but the chance of — this is what I told, I am repeating what I am sure you are going to have 1,000 doctors analyze, the chance of getting prostate cancer if you have a history of it in your family is only about 10 percent greater than it is for anyone else. So that may or may not have something to do it with it.

But you know , my father — my father had prostate cancer 30 years ago, when the treatments didn’t exist, and when you could only really catch it at a much later stage because they didn’t have PSA tests. They had only physical examinations, and a physical a examination would not have revealed this form of cancer.

So what he had was much more advanced than what I dealt with. And he died at 73 years old.

Q: Are there any circumstances under which you would drop from the Senate rice?

A: I don’t think it’s — I don’t think it’s fair to answer questions about the Senate race right now. I think that my focus right now has to be on how to figure out the best form of treatment, and then after I decide that, and get a while to absorb this, to figure out, you know, should I do it? Would I be able to do it the right way? I hope that’s the case. I think it would be unfair to give an answer right now. And I don’t even have an indication at this point. I think I should take a little time.

Q: Are you going to make your physician available to maybe answer some more questions …

A: Not yet. Yeah. When we get through the process of finishing up, deciding on exactly what form of treatment, I would be more than happy to do that. Right now, his concentration should be on, looking at tests yesterday, figuring out the other tests we have to do. I’ve already had probably more advice than you need to have on this just in the last two hours of people who have been through it and been told this is the best form of treatment, and then been told just the opposite. Something else is the best form of treatment. That’s — rather — that’s where I need the doctor to concentrate on.

Q: As far as aggressive treatment, do you know how long that would take, over what period of time you might have to take time off and discuss that at all?

A: Probably too early to discuss it. There are different forms of treatment. They extend over different periods of time. And I think it probably too early to discuss it. I mean, would I to take off time off from the job or from running or whatever? Yes, probably, sure. I mean, I don’t think significant, I think like months and months, but some forms of treatments would require taking some time off.

Q: Treatable form, is there a technical name for the form?

A: It is contained within the prostate and appears to be a form of cancer that they’ve had a lot of success in curing. That the treatment modalities that I mentioned have all had success in curing this kind of cancer at a pretty high rate. So that is the best way to do it.

Vidyya. Home |  Ex Libris |  Vidyya  | 
Subscription Information |  About Vidyya |  Vidyya Archives | 

Editor: Susan K. Boyer, RN
© Vidyya. All rights reserved.